What’s the Best Time for Lawn Mowing?

Posted July 17, 2017 by 25 Comments

What time do you normally mow your lawn?

Figuring out the best time of day to mow your lawn is a tricky endeavor. Its a decision that not only should be based on when its most comfortable for you, but more importantly when its more comfortable for your lawn. Below we explain what the best and worst times are to mow your lawn.

What Time of Day Do you Typically Mow Your Lawn?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What Day of the Week Do You Typically Mow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Best Times

8 a.m. – 10 a.m.
Between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. the sun is higher in the sky allowing the grass to dry from the early morning dew. Its still early enough before the heat of the day, the sun won’t be baking on you.
4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
The second best time time to mow your lawn is between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. By this time the temperature has cooled down, which is less stressful on your lawn. Cutting in the late afternoon also helps limit fungal diseases that can affect your grass.

Worst Times

6 a.m. – 8 a.m.
This is one of the worst times to mow your lawn, the grass will still be wet from the morning dew which can clog up your mower. If the ground is too wet your lawn mower can leave tracks. This not only looks bad, but it can potentially damage your lawn.
2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
This is the hottest part of the day, and the heat will be hard on the mower. The heat will also cause turf stress on your lawn. You’ll basically be cooking in the sun as your mowing.

If its possible try to mow during the times we listed as being the best times. Not only will you thank yourself but your lawn will be thanking you as well.

25 Comments

1. Corbett
    on July 20, 2017 at 10:34 am

I try to mow Thursday evenings, so the yard’s looking all good for the weekend. It also gives the grass clippings some time to settle so they aren’t tracked around if you have guests visit.

2. Jami Melani
    on July 20, 2017 at 11:26 am

In areas where the humidity is high, the grass is still wet at 10:00 AM and beyond many times. This makes mowing late afternoon/ early evening the best option.

• Wayne Dore'
      on July 20, 2017 at 11:46 am

Yes indeed here in South Louisiana the humidity is terrible, and lately it’s been raining almost every day for the past month.

3. Wayne Dore'
    on July 20, 2017 at 11:44 am

Lately I have to mow when ever I get the chance. We have been in a rain every day pattern for almost a month now, so sometimes I’m having to mow two or three times to get it to the length I like and to make it look nice.

4. Scott Lambert
    on July 20, 2017 at 11:49 am

I agree with Corbett above. I try for Thursday and then if not able, it’s Friday morning.

5. Ken
    on July 20, 2017 at 11:50 am

Best time around here is when the wife says it needs mowing!

6. Ron
    on July 20, 2017 at 11:56 am

I can’t really pin down common time or day. Between and mowing and lawn tractor mowing and trimming, it takes 6-8 hours to do my yard. As far as what day I mow, it depends on the weather and what is on my or my wife’s schedule for any given day.

7. Michael Voulgaris
    on July 20, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Obviously, you have never mowed your lawn in Texas. Some of the hottest part of the day is between 4:00 PM & 6:00PM. Between 6:30 PM & 7:30 PM is better because there is still enough sunlight.

8. Bob Rodgers
    on July 20, 2017 at 12:24 pm

All though I’m retired I still like to have it done for the weekend. Any time it’s not too hot and the blades are sharp is good for me..

9. Dan
    on July 20, 2017 at 12:28 pm

I mow when i have the time. Been out in the rain more times that i can count.

10. Brady Allison
    on July 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Ultimately, if you have a busy schedule, when you are free to do it is the deciding factor.

11. Michael Roach
    on July 20, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I have 6 acres to mow so it’s pretty much whenever it get enough time to do it. It gets really hot here around noon and that limits my window.

12. Brocephus
    on July 20, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I typically mow according to your recommendations. However what I find to be the most beneficial is the height at which you mow. I mow 5.5 acres a week. I cut at 3 inches and the morning dew keeps the grass green along with its 3 inch height which provides more shade for the soil. My neighbors mow anywhere from 1.5 to 2 inches and there grass is brown. Must be something to my logic. Oklahoma summers are quite hot and the rain is seldom. The prevailing grass in this area is Bermuda, which is very heat tolerant to begin with. Hope this helps.

13. BG
    on July 20, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I mow from 7AM to 10AM, not one of your choices. A lot depends on the type of turf and soil you have and wind conditions. During the summer in Texas I want the grass (St. Augustine) to rest for the blades seal before it gets cooked during the day and never had a problem with it clogging my mower.

14. Emil
    on July 20, 2017 at 1:40 pm

I usually have to cut the lawn, (the acre and a half) starting at noon or 1PM, after the morning showers stop and the grass drys out, during the rainy season. If I start too early, the grass is still too wet. If I start too late, I’ll be cutting when the afternoon showers begin. I live in Florida on the Gulf Coast and we get rain either in the morning or the afternoon, and sometimes twice a day, so it gets tricky. If you have to cut during the mid-day, be sure to use sunscreen liberally, keep hydrated and have a nice wide brim hat on! We can’t always pick the time we’d like to cut, the best time is when we CAN cut! Oh, I’m retired, so I have the luxury of being able to cut almost anytime except when I want to go fishing, nothing interferes with that!

15. Dan boguse
    on July 20, 2017 at 1:47 pm

My lawn grows so fast that I mow on Fridays and Mondays in the morning. I stager the mowing from back and forth to mowing on an angle just for the good looks.

16. John Keaney
    on July 20, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Living in the south, I like to mow after the sun starts to go down and the grass is dry. I don’t have a special day. That depends on the weather and the length of the grass. Iam retired so the day is not important.

17. Don A in Pennsyltucky
    on July 20, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I mow when I have to and have time to. If it’s too wet and we get more rain it will probably be too long by the time it’s dry enough. And I rarely do the whole property at one shot because I have other things. If it were all white clover that would suit me just fine because it doesn’t get too long and the bees like it. As for the day of the week, well gee that’s not a consideration in itself, but it does have an effect on what other things I can do on certain days.

18. Joseph Dagwan
    on July 20, 2017 at 2:17 pm

I find with lots of shade,the grass in my yard is still wet in some areas at 10am,so 6 or 7 pm works best for me.

19. James Fallon
    on July 20, 2017 at 2:25 pm

You gave nothing for 5 – 8pm.

20. dennis
    on July 20, 2017 at 2:48 pm

8am-10am “the sun is higher in the sky”, well, yeah, but in our area the dew has still not left this early.
    4pm-6pm “the temperature has cooled down” just where does this occur? The hottest time of the day is 3pm so, yeah, I guess that it has cooled somewhat. Obviously the writer does not live in the less moderate locals in the country.

21. Jon
    on July 20, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I mow.when grass is dry no matter what time it is

22. Keith
    on July 20, 2017 at 3:31 pm

I always try to mow every Thursday morning, so it looks nice for the weekend. In case you or your neighbors have company no one has to hear a lawnmower running while they are trying to visit, plus it gives me and my family free time to go do things on the weekend and not have to worry about mowing the lawn

23. steve
    on July 20, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I always liked mowing on Thursday , leaves the weekend free for more fun things and the lawn looks good through the weekend .

24. jason
    on July 20, 2017 at 3:40 pm

In Iowa after 10 seems to be the time. days like today the grass was still damp at noon . also with the rain and humidity I find myself mowing 2 times a week. other info with a Husqvarna mz52 with a Kawasaki with mowing approx. 3 acres on a farm I do not use ethanol in my small engine’s I get a hour and fifteen minutes more on a tank of gas. I check this at least 2-3 times a year.

Leave Your Thoughts